[wplug] On the road, trying to get connected.

Kuzman Ganchev kuzman at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Sat Aug 9 02:27:32 EDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 01:09:44PM -0400, Bryce Lynch wrote:

> I realise that I'm a little far away right now, but has anyone ever tried
> to get a Linux box running on the rochester.rr.com network?  I'm up in NY
> with a laptop running Debian Linux v3.0 and can't get an IP address from
> the DHCP server.  I've tried a static IP address as well (disconnecting
> one of my host's computers after dropping the DHCP lease) and that doesn't
> work, either.  I suspect that they're using PPPoE but I've never run into
> it before so I don't know what I'm looking for.  Doing a little nosing
> around on the XP system I'm typing this through I don't see anything
> unusual in the network configs.
>
> Any ideas?

Not sure if this helps, but have you tried overwriting your hardware
address to that of the dhcp server? I know my hostmom's ISP wouldn't
let you change hardware address until you'd had the address for
several hours (which freaked me out, since I plugged her computer back
into the cable modem and it didn't work). I know other people do this
also. e.g.

ifconfig eth0 hw ether 13:37:DE:AD:BE:EF

Kuzman

PS: I think ipconfig \all will give you the hw addr on XP, but it's
been a while.