[wplug] On the road, trying to get connected.

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Aug 8 13:47:48 EDT 2003

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Bryce Lynch wrote:

> I realise that I'm a little far away right now, but has anyone ever tried
> to get a Linux box running on the rochester.rr.com network?  I'm up in NY
> with a laptop running Debian Linux v3.0 and can't get an IP address from
> the DHCP server.  I've tried a static IP address as well (disconnecting
> one of my host's computers after dropping the DHCP lease) and that doesn't
> work, either.  I suspect that they're using PPPoE but I've never run into
> it before so I don't know what I'm looking for.  Doing a little nosing

You mean the DHCP server is connected to the net over PPPoE, or that
you're trying to connect *to* the DHCP server over PPPoE?

In the former case, if "standard" dhcp procedures (dhclient eth0) don't
work, it has probably something to do with the server.

In the latter case, use adsl-connect, rp-pppoe (www.roaringpenguin.com),
etc.

-A