[wplug] Linux on the Desktop

Sal Mangiapane salm at servanttechnology.com
Mon Apr 28 09:39:33 EDT 2003

Right now I would fall into the not-use-it (YET!) category.  I am comfortable with it as a server platform.  But, I've seen strides
making it more user friendly.  The applications I use are Outlook (95% of the time), MS Office (regularly), and Quick Books Pro (my
accountant prefers).  And on my Palm I use Trip Reporter and Punch Clock (for billing and mileage expenses).  Occasionally I use
Macromedia Fireworks and Dreamweaver.

I would not be sad to see Outlook (and IE) go.  I do use the sync feature to keep my Palm up-to-date.  It would be nice for Office
to leave also, since I don't use any advanced features.  I run W2K Pro and I would love to get rid of it's TCP/IP stack, it is so
frustrating when it gets confused with VPN connections.   I would need an Outlook replacement and absolutely a Palm address book
sync.  I still need Quick Books and Macromedia but the Win4Lin product sounds interesting.

I use this mailing list to become more familiar with Linux it is somewhat researching Linux a little bit at a time.  I know that I
will use Linux on the desktop.  The question for me becomes when?

You can put me in the want-to-use-it-but-don't-have-time-to-switch category.  (I'll be in Linux land some-day .....)

Thanks and God bless,

sal