[wplug] Linux on the Desktop

Bob Schmertz rschmertz at speakeasy.net
Mon Apr 28 10:48:13 EDT 2003

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Gentgeen Squire wrote:

>But to help keep things organized (nothing to do with spam), I have all
>my "Linux" mail sent to this address.  And since this is a web mail
>account, I can access it ANYWHERE.  I would think that 90% or better of
>this list use Linux as thier desktop. Otherwise why would they care to
>be on such a mailing list?

Some may simply be trying to learn.  Others may be forced to use it at
work, and join the list so they have a place to ask questions.  I think
your lurkers would be somewhat more likely to fall into this category,
and maybe be less likely to respond to a poll such as this, which makes
me wonder how good the data you'd get from this poll would be.

OTOH, this question was inspired by the questioner's noticing that the
e-mail headers for many posters do not unequivocally confirm that they
are using Linux on the desktop, so to some extent I suppose his question
is being answered as far as it went.

P.S. Right now I'm sitting my Windows 2000 box at work, with an Exceed
session to a Linux box at work, ssh'ed from there to my Gentoo iBook at
home on port 443 (my workplace blocks port 22), and ssh'ed from there to
my (Linux)  shell account at my ISP, where, obviously, I use Pine (using
IMAP -- the IMAP server is yet another box on my ISP's network).  I
could cut out one hop and use Cygwin to ssh straight from my W2K machine
to my home machine, but the fonts on the Cygwin shell are ugly, and
cut-n-paste is too funky for me on that shell.  I prefer Gnome-terminal.

--
Cheers,
Bob Schmertz