[wplug] ftp server setup

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Fri Apr 25 08:27:06 EDT 2003

Sometime in April Bill assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Elwin
|
| I'd suggest setting up ssh and using sftp instead of ftp.
|
| As for setting up ftp, it depends on what brand of the server you are
| running.  Configuration between different implementations is often
| similar but not identical.
|
| Woody and such names are the project names the developers use before the
| system is released.

also, if you already have an ssh server running, you can just use rsync
over ssh.  something like:

rsync -av -e "ssh -2" /local/path/to/files/* user at home.computer.net:/path/to/sick/stuff/

where /loca/path/... is the path to the files on your laptop and
home.computer.net is the hostname or ipaddress of your computer at home.

rsync is a good idea if you are using a slow connection like a modem. if
you want to stop in the middle of the transfer, you can disconnect and
pickup where you left off. i'm pretty sure you can do this with ftp, but i
don't trust it as much :).

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 "Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of
  the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to
  drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship,
  or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the
  people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is
  easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and
  denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country
  to greater danger."
  -- Herman Goering
     as related to Gustave Gilbert at the Nuremberg trials,
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E