[wplug] Was: Tried several distro's. Now: Debian HELP

Matthew Danish mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Apr 11 18:33:27 EDT 2003

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 04:34:06PM -0500, vze57qmg at verizon.net wrote:
> I did some searching to find out what needed done to get unstable and
> testing versions.
>
> I need to make some entries to my sources.list file.
>
> I get the impression that the updated software will download from the
> internet and not come from the 7 CD's I already downloaded.
>
> I can't test this at work but I will when I get home.
>
> Are the testing/unstable versions on the CD's ?  7 CD's of outdated
> software just can't be true !
>
> I'd like to give Debian a fair shake before I make any conclusions
> about it.
>
> Can anyone help me or offer some advice (other than RTFM which I've
> been trying to do).

I have no idea which CDs you downloaded, but I highly doubt that
"testing" or "unstable" is included on them.  Both of these are moving
targets, the best way to track them is via automatic upgrades through
the internet.  There are various unofficial sites with snapshots
available on CD images, as well.

As for "outdated software" I would advise you to discard the
Mandrake/Redhat mindset when dealing with stable.  Stable is not about
the latest fashionable (and broken) software; it contains software which
has withstood the test of time.  This is excellent for server
administrators.  Currently, in order to get newer, less tested software
you need to track testing or unstable.  Perhaps this will change in the
future, if some people get around to it.

--
; Matthew Danish <mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu>
; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.