[wplug] Redhat 9 Depressing as a first impression

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Fri Apr 4 11:52:22 EST 2003

John Strange wrote:
> whichOn Fri, 2003-04-04 at 10:58, Vanco, Donald wrote:
>> John Strange wrote:
>> 	It's been my experience that this is usually due to user error, in
>> particular, building broken dependencies in the "module profile"
>> (turning on one module that depends on a module you've turned off
>> 	elsewhere) Do you have specific error output?
>> 	Did you build from one of the config files supplied with the Red Hat
>> kernel RPM, or do you build from scratch?
>>

> make distclean ; make menuconfig built the normal kernel options that
> I have for a while.  Even simple modules like loopback and floppy
> support modular are bombing out with a spew of errmor messages so bad
> that it's over 200 lines in the module bombing out.
	Ouch.  I'm gonna have to try that myself.  You wouldn't happen to
have an archived .config (from the RH source attempts) would you?

> The stock 2.4.20 kernel built with 0 errors or problems.
	Well, I'm sure you know that RH patches really heavily...

> I just deleted it and moved to a stock kernel which is very nice, now
> the new nvidia drivers and xinerama support, well that's another
> story, let's just say it's not going very well.  The stock nv driver
> corrupts the screen, while the nvidia modular driver is locking the
> machine or gives very poor video performance..
	I assume you're using
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_display_ia32_1.0-4349
	My nVidia card is in my broken Abit - so I have yet to try this
driver / kernel combo

> This is the most trouble I've ever had with a redhat release sinced
> redhat 5.0 :(
	Yeah - it seems to be a real turd on quite a few fronts.....  I
can't recall a past release that had this many bugfixes available or in the
works a week after it came out.  Blech.  I expect a glibc update any day
now, if not sooner.

Don