[wplug] word processor suggestions?

Rafael E. Herrera raffo at neuronet.pitt.edu
Thu Nov 21 18:56:42 EST 2002

Zach Paine wrote:
> I definitely agree that LyX rocks.  I use it for a lot of my lab reports and
> what not, but I don't think it is the right choice for a word processor.  Lyx
> is great for creating extremely structured documents.  It lacks a lot of
> flexibility that word processors typically have as far as formatting, etc.

Lyx is a front-end for LaTeX. So, if you get to like lyx, then you can
step-up to latex.

Latex is a "document preparation" system. It can be used to write simple
letters to whole books, including figures, table of contents, index,
glossary, references, etc. calculating paging, layout, numbering, etc.
automatically.

Latex is not WYSIWYG, you need to 'compile' it an use a tool like xdvi
or a postscript viewer to see the final output.

If you are a student, is the best thing you can use to write reports,
scientific papers, dissertations, etc.

If what you are looking is for a replacement for a word processor, like
what you have in Windows, use OpenOffice.

In my experience, one of the greatest advantages in using latex, as
opposed to a word processor, for any document of moderate complexity, is
that any corruption in the file will not render the whole file
unviewable (because the a letex file is plain text). In a Word document
(or binary format one) gets corrupted, the whole formatting of the
document may get screwed (reload the figures, re-create tables, etc.).
You don't want your dissertation f***ed up at the last minute.
--
      Rafael