[wplug] Linux and laptops

Robert Dale rdale at wplug.org
Thu Jan 24 10:21:14 EST 2002

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Randy Spark wrote:

> 1:  I'm going to be purchasing a new laptop very soon and I need some
> help.  I've been looking at the available options and reviews that I can
> find, but can't make a clear decision.  From what I read, Compaq and DELL
> (if what I've been reading has any basis in fact) have been giving people
> support problems, and Compaq has been having quality control issues.  Does
> anyone have any direct experience (recently) with either of these brands
> and or customer service?

I have a Dell I8k.  Other than it having arrived DOA and the left mouse
button breaking after a few months, it has been a solid laptop.
Everything works on it and is supported in Linux (although I haven't
actually tried the firewire, the driver seems to like it) - DVD, USB,
modem, ethernet, pcmcia, external video, sound, and so on..

However, it seems they change the hardware in their laptops somewhat
frequently.  So be warned that not all I8ks are made the same.

I don't believe Dell supports Linux at all on their laptops.  I was forced
to have winME pre-installed (which I wiped immediately upon reception ;)
But for the problems I did have, support was decent.  For the mere <$200
for next business day service for three years, I think that was worth it
even though both of my service calls were 'parts pending'.

--
Robert Dale

wplug member since 1998