[wplug] X and High tech...

Rich Rosenbaum rrosenbaum at dmralliance.com
Tue Nov 6 10:49:48 EST 2001

Hi all.

I want to display on a plasma...her are the specs...

PlasmaSync 42MP1

Native Pixel Resolution
853 horizontal dots x 480 vertical rows

Horiz. Frequency Range
15.6 to 80.5 kHz auto, step scan

Vertical Frequency Range
50 to120 Hz auto, step scan

PC Signal Compatibility
VGA 640x480 @ 60, 72, 75, 85,
100, 120 Hz
SVGA 800x600 @ 56, 60, 72, 75, 85,
100, 120 Hz
XGA 1024x768 @ 60, 70, 75, 85, 100 Hz
SXGA 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz
Wide VGA 848x480, 852x480 @ 60Hz
Wide XGA 1360x765 @60Hz
Macintosh 640x480, 832x624, 1024x768

I read this from
here....http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO/obsolete.html:

For 4.0.0 and later versions of XFree86, you no longer have to generate
modelines at all. Instead they are computed internally by the server at
startup time,
based on the resolution you specify in the Modes part of the Screen
section part of your XFree86 configuration file and the monitor
capabilities your X server
gets via an EDID query to the monitor.

To change your screen resolution and color depth, simply edit or create
a Display section describing it.
All you will usually need to do is change the numbers in the Mode entry.
X will do the rest. If you specify an impossible resolution, it will
fall back to the closest
approximation that the EDID data from the monitor says it can support.

Therefore, the information in the remainder of this HOWTO is useful only
if (a) you have an old, pre-EDID monitor, or (b) your graphics-card
driver doesn't
support querying the monitor, or (c) you are running an old version of
XFree86 (in which case, you should fix your problem by upgrading), or
(d) your
monitor/card combination can support a resolution above 1920 x 1440,
which is the maximum XFree86 supports in a canned modeline.

I'm running Redhat 7.1 with a Matrox G550.........

any thoughts would be appreciated (I DO NOT want to blow up the
plasma...that would be very bad!!) :-)