[wplug] X and High tech...

Robert Dale rdale at wplug.org
Tue Nov 6 15:22:42 EST 2001

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Rich Rosenbaum wrote:

> For 4.0.0 and later versions of XFree86, you no longer have to generate
> modelines at all. Instead they are computed internally by the server at
> startup time,
> based on the resolution you specify in the Modes part of the Screen
> section part of your XFree86 configuration file and the monitor
> capabilities your X server
> gets via an EDID query to the monitor.

Also based based on the HorizSync and VertRefresh.  It seems to me as if
you have all the information necessary.  The critical value is the
VertRefresh.  That is the one you do not want to exceed or it may fry the
display.  Hopefully it has some smarts in it that detects bad frequencies
and doesn't try to display the signal as most monitors today do.

AFAIK, you can still compute your own modelines, if you really want to, with
X 4.x.

--
Robert Dale

wplug member since 1998