[wplug] IRQ insanity

David G Matthews dgm4+ at pitt.edu
Thu Mar 15 22:47:26 EST 2001

I have an isa modem (not a winmodem) which I recently been having a great
deal of trouble with.  I have used it under Linux before, but I did
something strange when I upgraded to 2.4.1 kernel, and now I seem to be
having IRQ problems.  I think that at some point I must have accidentally
changed the IRQ settings when trying to get isapnp to work with the new
kernel.  I have done the following things:
1) I disabled pnp on the card (it is a pnp card, but it has a jumper to
make it act like a non-pnp isa card) and disabled pnp support in the
kernel.  The card is recognized on bootup.
2) I disabled the setserial boot-up script that was over-riding my IRQ
assignments.
I tried to talk to the modem through minicom, and got an extremely slow
character echo.  The serial how-to says that this is probably an irq
problem.  However, there don't seem to be any apparent IRQ conflicts.  I
have tried setting the modem to either irq 3 or irq 4 (neither of which is
in use) - still no luck with minicom, or with SuSE's modem configuration
tool, but setserial can find it.  Any suggestions?
-dgm