[wplug] RedHat 7 and Reiserfs

Rafael E. Herrera raffo at neuronet.pitt.edu
Thu Jan 25 22:50:16 EST 2001

RH 7.0 used a version of gcc that was a development snapshot at the
time. In the kernel mailing list it was discussed, deprecated,
justified, etc. The bottom line was that to avoid possible problems with
that distribution, to use one of the supported compilers. By the way, I
understand that RH has two compilers, gcc for applications and kgcc to
compile the kernel only, make sure you are using the latter.

This is now an shameless plug; I have used SuSE as my main distribution
since version 5.3, it has been very solid for me. I work on some kernel
module and application development in it. I have a little experience
with debian and I find its package management very good, but not done
real work under it. I've no experience under RH, so I've no opinion as
to its usability.

--
     Rafael