[wplug] RedHat 7 and Reiserfs

edstef edstef at sgi.net
Fri Jan 26 21:00:31 EST 2001

Rafael said:

 > RH 7.0 used a version of gcc that was a development snapshot at the
 > time. In the kernel mailing list it was discussed, deprecated,
 > justified, etc. The bottom line was that to avoid possible problems with
 > that distribution, to use one of the supported compilers. By the way, I
 > understand that RH has two compilers, gcc for applications and kgcc to
 > compile the kernel only, make sure you are using the latter.

So I did the following:

rpm -i  kgcc-1.1.2-40.i386.rpm
make oldconfig
make dep
<etc>

Now it builds a whole lot cleaner! Thanks Rafael!  I looked at the Readme
again and no mention of that kernel compiler.  Guess you just gotta know,
or there is some other doc elsewhere in the disto I didn't find.

Also Jonathan was right about the block size on ext2; dumpe2fs reveals that
file systems build with my old slack ext2 all have blocksize 1024
regardless of their size while the ones build with the newer ext2 the
blocksize is 4096, except for the boot partition which is very small.

Thanks to both for the info. I think I will struggle with RH 7.0 for
awhile, mostly to see if I can tame it.