[wplug] RedHat 7 and Reiserfs

edstef edstef at sgi.net
Thu Jan 25 21:42:55 EST 2001

At 15:50 1/25/01 -0500, David wrote

 > RH, on the other hand, requires recompiling the kernel to add
 > reiserfs support.

Has anybody gotten the Red Hat 7.0 kernel to make cleanly as supplied and
configured out of the box?

I built a modest new box recently. I use Red Hat 6.2 on three systems at
work with no trouble so I put 7.0 on the new box instead of the slakware I
have been running on my old box.

Last weekend I decided I wanted an app to show me the CPU temp and fan
speeds on my board and determined I had to re-build the kernel to get the
via pro i2c module I needed.  I did manage to get the kernel to build after
some tweaking, but I get an awful lot of the same strange warnings,
"pasting would not give a valid preprocessing token)  when making the
modules.  I never could get the i2c driver to build and after a couple of
hours I gave up in disgust (who needs to know fan speeds and CPU temp
anyway?). I never had this sort of trouble with slack.

Could gcc 2.96 be the culprit, and if so what can or should I do about it?

While I am griping about Red Hat, what about the extensions that got added
to ext2 that make the fs I create on Red Hat 7.0 not mountable by my
slakware?  Is this new "feature" common to other disto's too?

Ed J