[wplug] Good hubs and what not.

Smith, Edward ESmith at Interactive-media.com
Thu Jan 11 09:37:11 EST 2001

I use the Linksys 4 port 10/100 Cable/DSL switch. It runs about $150 on
buy.com right now and I understand they just came out with an 8 port version
as well.

Anyway, What I do is plug my PCs with 100 Mb cards directly into the Linksys
and then I run an uplink from there to my old 10Mb hub and plug anything
else into that. It's kind of hacked together in spots, but it works well for
my needs as I only get 1 IP from my cable provider.

Edward C. Smith
Multimedia Programmer
Interactive Media Corp.
Butler, PA
(724) 284-7396

-----Original Message-----
From: Luquilla Hughes [mailto:luquilla at hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2001 12:53 AM
To: wplug at wplug.org
Subject: [wplug] Good hubs and what not.

I am now starting to look for a hub to set up a home network. I have 3 PCs.
1 Mac, and 1 Amiga. It looks like I will be able to have a 10baseT with
UDP(RJ45) connectors on the machines that I will be able to connect. I have
cable internet access so we are talking about a 10Mbps pipe to the
internet(currently reading NET3-4-HOWTO & IP-MASQ-HOWTO). So I am looking
for advice preferences and/or suggestions on small hubs and/or switches.

What do you use?
What do you like?
What do you wish you had bought?

Also I would like to know if anyone understands and can explain to me about
Cat-5 cables? How I can make or buy one(what to ask for) to connect between
2 comps with NICs? Maybe a like to a site with a good explination and pics
of how to make one. And most importantly why they are so @#^$#^
expensive!!!!