[wplug] networking security

Rob Nelson ronelson at vt.edu
Sun Apr 29 14:10:29 EDT 2001

>Please excuse this very simplistic question.  As I
>posted before, I'm going to get a cable modem.  I want
>to share the connection among four computers a Linux
>box, 2 Windows boxes, and a macintosh.

I didn't say anything earlier, but *why* are you buying a cable modem? It's
not just about the cost, either - with your own modem, AT&T's (or whoever's
providing it) support will stop at the cable that goes into your modem. It's
hard enuf to get them to look at problems as it is, much less if it's your
equipment somewhere in the middle.

I'd look at renting the modem (it's part of the monthly fees and you'd be
paying it anyway) and get a linksys hub/firewall if you need it. Using cable
for two years, I use an RH6.2 P100 machine to do NAT, firewall, apache, and
sendmail and haven't been hacked.

Rob Nelson
ronelson at vt.edu