[wplug] networking security

harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu
Sun Apr 29 21:05:08 EDT 2001

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, Rob Nelson wrote:

> I'd look at renting the modem (it's part of the monthly fees and you'd be
> paying it anyway) and get a linksys hub/firewall if you need it. Using cable
> for two years, I use an RH6.2 P100 machine to do NAT, firewall, apache, and
> sendmail and haven't been hacked.

you're probably one of those silly people who subscribes to redhats
eratta and applies updates after security advisories. how can you afford
support like that? oh yeah it's free.

i've only been hacked once, primarly because of ignorance. redhat it
pretty good about letting you know when there is a problem so you can shut
down non essntial stuff and they also provide updates in a speedy manner.

so if you are willing to take the time to subscribe to the mailing lists
and apply the patches when they come out there shouldnt be too many
problems. most of the l33t hackers/crackers out there are using
prepackaged scripts and dont understand how they work. if someone really
wants the stuff on your box they will probably just walk in and take it.

John

~~
Linux is a trademark of Linus "Not as sexy as Elvis" Torvalds
                            -[From an IBM ad]