[wplug] I did it, I ordered @home

David Tessitor dttessitor at home.com
Wed Dec 27 23:37:34 EST 2000

@home uses dhcp.  Unfortunately, John, simply indicating either pump or dhcp when
connecting to @home is not adequate in itself.  It requires the assigned name also
be sent.

With Pump via RedHat (or a derivative, e.g. Mandrake), the trick appears to be to
set the computer name to "<assigned name>.home.com" when requested during
configuration of the nic in the install process.  Linuxconf is an easy menu driven
means of inserting this correctly into the appropriate scripts of an already
installed system.

In Slackware derivatives Peanut Linux and Vector Linux, I have merely added "-h
<assigned name>" into the middle of the script's command: "dhcpcd eth<x>" and
everything went fine on boot up.

If dhcpc is available in any distribution, using this alone for a command line
entry of "dhcpcd -h <assigned name> eth<x>" works until the next reboot.

Dave