[wplug] I did it, I ordered @home

jmh3 at linuxfreak.com jmh3 at linuxfreak.com
Wed Dec 27 14:06:05 EST 2000

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Luquilla Hughes wrote:

> Well, I finally did it I ordered @home internet service from AT&T. I have a
> copy of win95 so they will come and set it up, but as you may have guessed,
> that is not my prefered OS. <G>. So I was wondering if anyone could point me
> to which Howto's I should be reading so I will be ready to switch over after
> they install it.
>
> I would also like to be able to network another machine in another room to
> the connected box so that my wife can connect from downstairs instead of
> having to go upstairs. (IOW, she would like to be able to get her email from
> the nursery. Instead of having to baby-proof the upstairs office.)
>
> I have 2 p166 compaq's (running win9x) with etherlink15xl cards(one upstairs
> one down). they should be 10mbps. Also a p133 running slackware(7.1) with
> 10/100 supported card(upstairs). I also have a $5 10mbps(supported) card
> ready to be put into the box going out to @home after the install guy
> leaves. I have not bought a hub/switch yet so I am open to suggestions.

to setup a firewall read the ipmasq howto:
http://www.e-infomax.com/ipmasq/howto/ipmasq-HOWTO-1.95c.html
since you will probably have a dynamic ip you can customize the
rc.firewall script to account for this. the guy who wrote the trinity os
stuff covers this:
http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch/LINUX/TrinityOS/cHTML/TrinityOS-c.html
it also has some good generic information on security.

if you want a domain name to use with a dynamic ip you can chekc out:
http://www.dyndns.org/

after you get the firewall setup you should look at using squid with some
ad redirecting software:
http://www.squid-cache.org/
http://fredrik.rambris.com/sleezeball/       (redirect program)

do you know what protocol they are using to give out ip addresses? if they
are using dhcp you can just set your nic interface to use that boot
protocol. i dont know what it is in slackware. in redhat edit the file
ifcfg-ethx in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts where x is the device number.
it should read something like this:
DEVICE=ethx
BOOTPROTO=dhcp

i cannot comment more without knowing more about @home.