[wplug-web] Wiki and Planet

Mark Dalrymple wplug at badgertronics.com
Fri Oct 15 12:55:14 EDT 2004

> Since the time I
> first made the suggestion I've installed and maintained a few wiki sites
> including the MoinMoin wiki over at wiki.apache.org.

cool!  I've started using MoinMoin on a client site, and it's pretty
nice.  Is it just a CGI kind of thing?  (and is there an easy way to
strip out the couple hundred pages that come with it?  Doing
searchings on our 15 page wiki and getting instructions for laying out
pages in Swedisn gave me a giggle)

And is there a way to (in the future) restrict who can edit pages,
like requiring a login or something.  One wiki I use a lot
(http://cocoadev.com/) is having a bad problem with WikiSpam.  And the
software for it (a single perl script) would take a lot of work to add
that.  Hopefully the Bad Guys will avoid little ol' us, but it's nice
knowing we can do something about it if it happens.

> I know not everyone likes blogs, but it shouldn't be too hard to
> install PlanetPlanet [1] which could aggregate wplug bloggers.

I was thinking along similar lines the other day when we were
exchanging blog links in IRC.  I figured just a page with links and
RSS links would work [but pretty low-tech], but if PlanetPlanet is
easy to install and doesn't require mysql, we can give it a look.

Another mid-tech option would be to use LiveJournal syndication and
friend lists.  My weblog (http://badgertronics.com/blog/) got
syndicated thankes to James.  I've got a friends list over there with
a number of wpluggers, and that's kind of handy to go to.

> PS: I'd like to switch my subcribed email address to farra at apache.org from my
> yahoo address.  Can I just resubscribe or is this list moderated?

Not moderated.  Feel free to unsub and resub.

Cheers,
++Mark Dalrymple.  markd at badgertronics.com.  http://badgertronics.com
  "I am convinced that the only purpose IRC help channels serve is to
   provide a sheltered environment for those freaks of nature too
   socially, physically or emotionally warped to endure face to face
   human contact"
    -- redtoade