[wplug-web] Wiki and Planet

J Aaron Farr jaaronfarr at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 15:50:37 EDT 2004

--- Mark Dalrymple <wplug at badgertronics.com> wrote:

> > Since the time I
> > first made the suggestion I've installed and maintained a few wiki sites
> > including the MoinMoin wiki over at wiki.apache.org.
>
> cool!  I've started using MoinMoin on a client site, and it's pretty
> nice.  Is it just a CGI kind of thing?  (and is there an easy way to
> strip out the couple hundred pages that come with it?  Doing
> searchings on our 15 page wiki and getting instructions for laying out
> pages in Swedisn gave me a giggle)

MoinMoin uses python and stores the wiki pages using normal text files.  No
database required and you can delete the original files fairly easily.

> And is there a way to (in the future) restrict who can edit pages,
> like requiring a login or something.  One wiki I use a lot
> (http://cocoadev.com/) is having a bad problem with WikiSpam.  And the
> software for it (a single perl script) would take a lot of work to add
> that.  Hopefully the Bad Guys will avoid little ol' us, but it's nice
> knowing we can do something about it if it happens.

Yes, there's a way to require logins.  I recommend it.  Even if all you do is
just allow anyone to create an account, you'll block almost all WikiSpam.

> > I know not everyone likes blogs, but it shouldn't be too hard to
> > install PlanetPlanet [1] which could aggregate wplug bloggers.
>
> I was thinking along similar lines the other day when we were
> exchanging blog links in IRC.  I figured just a page with links and
> RSS links would work [but pretty low-tech], but if PlanetPlanet is
> easy to install and doesn't require mysql, we can give it a look.

PlanetPlanet is very simple, also uses python and no database.  All you need is
a cron job that picks up the configured RSS feeds at a regular basis.

jaaron