[Wplug-web] CVS

Evan DiBiase evand at wplug.org
Sun Mar 18 14:23:05 EST 2001

On Sun, 18 Mar 2001, Zach Paine wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Mar 2001 14:06:59 Evan DiBiase wrote:
> >
> > Okay, so it's user error. But it's user error that shouldn't be
> > happening. We should be able to move the locations of directories
> > without losing access to the repository for this long.
>
> Again, you can move a dir w/o losing access.  The question is how.

Right. For some reason, we haven't figured out even how to move a
directory yet.

> > I don't even see stuff in there. All I see are a lot of broken symlinks,
> > which don't do any good for me anyway.
>
> They are symlinks are broken on your machine.  On wplug.org they work
> however.  go to unstable.wplug.org/announcements.  The symlinks point to
> files in /users/zman/private.  It's in a seperate repos because it contains
> sensitive material (user:pass).

If they're broken, why are they in the repo? What can we possibly do
with them?

> > We've been beating our way through on unstable since December. That's
> > almost 4 months, and we can't get things right yet? How much learning
> > are we going to have to put in before we start actually getting positive
> > benefits?
> >
> > It seems like we're "learning" bk, and all the learning doesn't seem to
> > help us do anything. We've put 4 months in, and gotten useful work back,
> > sure, but we could be getting more work done with less learning with
> > CVS.
>
> Honestly I don't think most of us have been learngin bk for 4 months. I
> have and I've been doing a lot, but until recently, nobody else really did
> anything.  It's great that people are starting to pitch in and do a lot of
> work (go Evan, go!) but you have a lot less bk experience than 4 months.

True, although I was the first to actually set up the inital bk
repository. I cooled off on the development for a while after that...

> > Would you stick with a web browser for 4 months that did pretty much
> > that same thing as another web browser but was harder to use and
> > required various confusing, badly-documented operations to be performed
> > occasionally when you did something like, say, try to go to a different
> > web site than the one you started on, or tried to rename a bookmark?
> >
> > I wouldn't.
> >
> I think BK has a lot of advantages.  I talked a lot with ricks at the
> beginning of this project, and he convinced me.  I don't really know if
> your analogy fits.

The night ricks and I were going to set up a RCS, he said, "Okay, what
are we going to use?" and I said, "Well, I don't know; what would be
best?" He basically said, "Well, CVS would work, but we could try bk if
you want." Since I wanted to see what he had done, I said, "Sure, let's
try bk." That's pretty much the only reason I had for using it.

The analogy is just there to beg this question: why are we using
something that's going to make our lives _harder_ instead of easier?
That's what I want to know.

> Tell me why CVS would be better.  I have put a lot of effort into BK, but
> if CVS will result in more people contributing and it makes my developing
> easier, fine.

CVS would be better because, IMHO:

	* It's not going to break (as much)
	* More people are familiar with it
	* More tools are available that utilize it

That's basically it. I don't want to start a holy war here (as I might
have); all I want is what's best for us.

Would there be any way (rob?) for us to try CVS for a while and see how
we as a team like it?

If we don't, we just move back to bk, no harm done.

I dunno. This is coming from the distro-reinstaller of wplug, so...

-Evan