[Wplug-web] CVS

Zach Paine zman at wplug.org
Sun Mar 18 14:01:19 EST 2001

On Sun, 18 Mar 2001 14:06:59 Evan DiBiase wrote:

> Okay, so it's user error. But it's user error that shouldn't be
> happening. We should be able to move the locations of directories
> without losing access to the repository for this long.

Again, you can move a dir w/o losing access.  The question is how.

> I don't even see stuff in there. All I see are a lot of broken symlinks,
> which don't do any good for me anyway.

They are symlinks are broken on your machine.  On wplug.org they work
however.  go to unstable.wplug.org/announcements.  The symlinks point to
files in /users/zman/private.  It's in a seperate repos because it contains
sensitive material (user:pass).

> We've been beating our way through on unstable since December. That's
> almost 4 months, and we can't get things right yet? How much learning
> are we going to have to put in before we start actually getting positive
> benefits?
>
> It seems like we're "learning" bk, and all the learning doesn't seem to
> help us do anything. We've put 4 months in, and gotten useful work back,
> sure, but we could be getting more work done with less learning with
> CVS.

Honestly I don't think most of us have been learngin bk for 4 months. I
have and I've been doing a lot, but until recently, nobody else really did
anything.  It's great that people are starting to pitch in and do a lot of
work (go Evan, go!) but you have a lot less bk experience than 4 months.

> Would you stick with a web browser for 4 months that did pretty much
> that same thing as another web browser but was harder to use and
> required various confusing, badly-documented operations to be performed
> occasionally when you did something like, say, try to go to a different
> web site than the one you started on, or tried to rename a bookmark?
>
> I wouldn't.

I think BK has a lot of advantages.  I talked a lot with ricks at the
beginning of this project, and he convinced me.  I don't really know if
your analogy fits.

Tell me why CVS would be better.  I have put a lot of effort into BK, but
if CVS will result in more people contributing and it makes my developing
easier, fine.

--
Zach Paine
http://www.wplug.org/~zman/zman.key