[wplug-plan] Making the big changes

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Wed Dec 5 17:38:53 EST 2012

Greg,

I wonder if you could comment briefly on what problems you see in the
WPLUG bylaws?  I mean, I have my own opinions about things that I'd like
to see changed, but I'd like to hear what others have to say.

I've been poking around at the bylaws of some professional
organizations, and haven't found one that isn't largely managed by a
board of directors (or some similar structure) elected by the membership
in a competitive election.  I can tell you for instance that the ACM
works that way (plus, they also have paid leadership positions such as
an executive director that is hired by the board).  Do you have any
organizations whose governance models you particularly admire?  (I did
try to look up the bylaws of the ASQ, but they apparently make their
bylaws available only to members of the organization.)

There's also the IETF model of doing things ("We believe in rough
consensus, and working code" - in other words, if you want to do
something, go do it, and work to convince others that it's a good idea),
but even there there's an awful lot of politics, and it sort of assumes
access to resources in a way we don't necessarily have.  Much of the
work done by organizations like the IETF is actually funded by
third-parties with relatively deep pockets, so in terms of an
organization like WPLUG, it'd be similar to telling people who have an
idea that they need to go implement it and pay for it themselves, out of
pocket - and then maybe the organization would pick it up if it seems
like it's working well - and I'm not sure how well that would fly in an
organization like ours.

--Pat.