[wplug-plan] Re: [wplug] read my lips: no new guidelines

Zach Paine zman at wplug.org
Thu Nov 15 18:39:17 EST 2001

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 03:20:33PM -0800, Beth Lynn wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can I have some help from the board enforcing some
> things like..
> getting people to sign in?
> telling people respect the room?
> making sure attendees respect each other?

I think this 'legislature' is on it's way.

> I have plenty of trouble getting people to listen
> before. I expect to have more problems now.

Why?  I don't think anyone really disagrees with what has been said.  It
was just how you came off in your initial email.  We
have to obey copyright laws and CMU's own rules.  'Nuff said.

> It has been suggested many times that I should be
> a member of the board. Each time, nothing is done
> about it. I just guessed someone just doesn't want
> me on the board.

I disagree.  The board as a whole has not met yet.  We're currently
working on the prime mechanism of the board, voting.  wplug-web is
implementing features that will allow us to vote without have to have a
meeting.  You have my support for a board position.

> > We've relied on commonsense in the
> > past, and I think it
> > has worked well.  However, we must of course obey
> > the guidelines of the room
> > first.

Obviously someone's common sense didn't prevail.

> I trusted the common sense of the person bringing
> the video that it wasn't going to be horribly
> offensive.
> Common sense does not work for a group so large
> and diverse, it is just the nature of human beings.

I don't know if I agree that it won't work, but this incident is an
example of "the few ruin it for the many".  For the sake of our group's
image and responsibility, we will need to have more strict (read:
existant) meeting rules.

> Two things make me think no one is wants me to make
> rules for the room...
>
> a) People do not listen to me at meetings. When I
> speak, no one is paying attention.

I listen :)  I know that from the people I've talked to, you are very
appreciated.  I try to give you a "shout-out" in the minutes every time
I write them ;-)  I think this problem (not listening) stems from the
fact, that people tend to not listen in the first place.  It is a
difficult job to organize a meeting.  But as Rob (I think it was him)
said, I'm sure people would be willing to help you.  I am.

> I've been asking for there to be elections, at
> meetings
> and on the channel, in the presence of members and
> board members. Can the board get rolling on this?

We are :)

--
Zach Paine

wplug d00d