[wplug-plan] Re: [wplug] read my lips: no new guidelines

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Thu Nov 15 19:15:07 EST 2001

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Beth Lynn wrote:
> It has been suggested many times that I should be
> a member of the board. Each time, nothing is done
> about it. I just guessed someone just doesn't want
> me on the board.

You've misinterpreted our apathy and laziness for dislike.

> Good, I'm glad to hear that someone from the board
> is supporting me setting guidelines for the room,
> but I don't want to come off as a dictator.

I think the issue that Rob and other had was you didn't make it clear
which hat you were wearing. WPLUG Doer of things Hat or your CMU employee
Hat.

> Two things make me think no one is wants me to make
> rules for the room...
>
> a) People do not listen to me at meetings. When I
> speak, no one is paying attention.

Using your diaphram isn't just a good method of birth control. :)
I think that's what my speech teacher said once.

> b) Out of fear that I alone was going to be the
> censorship police, some people wrote responses
> basically saying my rules for keeping the room sane
> are unreasonable. I am not going to quote individuals
> since I think this issue has bogged down the list
> enough.

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.

> I've been asking for there to be elections, at
> meetings
> and on the channel, in the presence of members and
> board members. Can the board get rolling on this?

A herd of cats is hard to push into a voting booth. :)

-james