[wplug-plan] Re: [wplug] read my lips: no new guidelines

Beth Lynn bluekanary at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 15 18:20:33 EST 2001

Hi

> Right, but that doesn't stop you from making
> guidelines for
> rooms at CMU for which you are responsible.
> Whatever rules
> and regulations you see fit to place on those rooms,
> wplug
> would have to abide by them.

Can I have some help from the board enforcing some
things like..
getting people to sign in?
telling people respect the room?
making sure attendees respect each other?

I have plenty of trouble getting people to listen
before. I expect to have more problems now.

> On a side note, I agree with everyone who thinks you
> should
> be on the board.

It has been suggested many times that I should be
a member of the board. Each time, nothing is done
about it. I just guessed someone just doesn't want
me on the board.

> On CMU's side, you have obligations to CMU to follow
> their guidelines.
> Since you're the responsible person for the room,
> it's your prerogative
> to set any guidelines for that room.

Good, I'm glad to hear that someone from the board
is supporting me setting guidelines for the room,
but I don't want to come off as a dictator.

> We've relied on commonsense in the
> past, and I think it
> has worked well.  However, we must of course obey
> the guidelines of the room
> first.

I trusted the common sense of the person bringing
the video that it wasn't going to be horribly
offensive.
Common sense does not work for a group so large
and diverse, it is just the nature of human beings.

> In closing, I think you have extrapolated a few
> untrue facts.
> I can't recall anyone saying no one wants you to do
> the job that
> you're doing.  I think most people would agree
> you're doing
> an excellent job of keeping the meetings together
> and appreciate
> that.

Two things make me think no one is wants me to make
rules for the room...

a) People do not listen to me at meetings. When I
speak, no one is paying attention.

b) Out of fear that I alone was going to be the
censorship police, some people wrote responses
basically saying my rules for keeping the room sane
are unreasonable. I am not going to quote individuals
since I think this issue has bogged down the list
enough.

>  But, if you need someone else to help with
> some or all
> of the tasks, just ask around.  I'm sure someone
> will step up
> and help.
I've been asking for there to be elections, at
meetings
and on the channel, in the presence of members and
board members. Can the board get rolling on this?

Thanks,
Beth Lynn