[wplug-plan] Re: [wplug] Bylaws

Zach Paine zman at wplug.org
Tue Feb 13 23:50:34 EST 2001

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 23:46:02 Jonathan Billings wrote:

> 1.) What kind of structure?  Chair/president?  A board of directors?  A
> new chair each meeting?

I think we should have a chair and a board.  The chair should be elected
annually.

> 2.) Voting mechanism.  Online voting?  Private Ballot?

Online voting sounds good to me.  Again, evand's suggestion about
kuro5hin.org is my favorite to date.

> 3.) Meeting structure.  RR has a suggestion, but I'd like to trim it down
> to only a few steps, like:
> 	a.) Meeting opening
> 	b.) Last Meeting highlights
> 	c.) Roll call, each position gives report
> 	d.) Discussion led by leader (secretary takes minutes)
> 	e.) Summary of decisions by secretary
> 	f.) Final notes
> 	g.) Meeting adjurns

This all sounds good to me.

Member of wplug at wplug.org

> 5.) Some organization and structure of GUMs and Installfests, at least a
> framework thereof, something which we can start from.  That way a random
> person could organize such a function and have some guide to how it
> should
> work.

This sounds like a good thread to start (seperate email).

> 6.) Apart from positions, committee need to be decided, should there be a
> permanent web group?  Should we have ad-hoc groups, how do we define
> their
> functions?  Special Meetings group?  (i.e. Computer shows, other events)

I think we should have special committees.  Ie. wplug-web, wplug-radio, and
the computer show folks.  Each group should have a chair to coordinate
between the committe and the rest of the group.

> 7.) There is no seventh point.

There is no response to the non-existent 7th point.

> 8.) Very important: Purpose/Mission Statement.  I should have thought of
> this earlier.  What do we stand for?  What do we do?

WPLUG provides linux advocacy, education, resources, support, and
socialization to the Western Pennsylvania community.  What exactly those
mean can be decided in a seperate thread.

> 9.) We need to discuss things like what percent constitutes a quorum?
> How
> are elections decided?  The definition of a member will be important
> here,
> because it will be used to decide the quorum.

Please tell little zman what a quorum is :(  Elections could be done via
the kuro5hin.org system.  Every member of wplug at wplug.org gets a vote.

These are my initial responses.  It seems that new threads should be
started talking about each on in particular in order to maintain clarity.
I think we are starting to move in the right direction.

--
Zach Paine
http://www.wplug.org/~zman/zman.key