[wplug-plan] Re: [wplug] Bylaws

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Feb 13 23:46:02 EST 2001

I think RR can be mentioned as fall-back rules, but simply said, what's
the point of arguing about that?  Deciding on ByLaws is what needs to be
done!  RR fall-back would only really be important when writing the
Meetings section of the bylaws, and we have some MUCH more important
things to decide, like:

1.) What kind of structure?  Chair/president?  A board of directors?  A
new chair each meeting?
2.) Voting mechanism.  Online voting?  Private Ballot?
3.) Meeting structure.  RR has a suggestion, but I'd like to trim it down
to only a few steps, like:
	a.) Meeting opening
	b.) Last Meeting highlights
	c.) Roll call, each position gives report
	d.) Discussion led by leader (secretary takes minutes)
	e.) Summary of decisions by secretary
	f.) Final notes
	g.) Meeting adjurns
4.) What constitutes a member
5.) Some organization and structure of GUMs and Installfests, at least a
framework thereof, something which we can start from.  That way a random
person could organize such a function and have some guide to how it should
work.
6.) Apart from positions, committee need to be decided, should there be a
permanent web group?  Should we have ad-hoc groups, how do we define their
functions?  Special Meetings group?  (i.e. Computer shows, other events)
7.) There is no seventh point.
8.) Very important: Purpose/Mission Statement.  I should have thought of
this earlier.  What do we stand for?  What do we do?
9.) We need to discuss things like what percent constitutes a quorum?  How
are elections decided?  The definition of a member will be important here,
because it will be used to decide the quorum.
10.) Amendments.  Something lacking in our current bylaws.

this is just what I dashed off at the top of my head.  I'm sure there are
plenty of other things to discuss.

--jonathan "ow my head" billings