[wplug-bsd] keyboard behavior at console

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Fri May 13 04:32:11 EDT 2005

I'm using FreeBSD 4.11, currently from the console.  Usually I login over
SSH but sometimes I use the console, and lately I've been using it more.
I have started to notice that the keyboard doesn't behave the way I want
it to at the console.  For one thing, the key repeat rate is far too slow.
More important, the meta and ctrl keys don't work as expected: for
example, when rnning emacs, if I press ctrl-H I get a backspace instead of
the help prompt, and certain other ctrl keys don't work as expected or
at all.  Also, pressing alt-<key> doesn't work (I have to use ESC <key>)
and 'delete' deletes the character before point (like backspace) instead
of the character at point.

I don't know exactly what governs this behavior, but I would like to make
it work better.  Where can I fix this?

-Brandon