[wplug-bsd] Frequent page faults -- getting on my nerves

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon May 9 07:32:43 EDT 2005

Brandon Kuczenski <brandon at 301south.net> wrote:

> > Have you had a chance to run memtest on this machine for any length of time?
> > Frequent problems like that suggest buggy memory to me.
>
> I ran memtest in single user mode, but it complained that it couldn't
> mlock the memory it allocated.  THe man page says memtest is 'mostly
> pointless' in that case.
>
> It didn't report any errors, though.

To get any decent results from memtest, you need to make a bootable memtest
CD, and then let it run for 8 - 10 hours.  If it's only crashing infrequently,
you're not going to tell if there are any errors by only letting it run for
a short while, and to get a decent test of _all_ memory, you need to boot off
the CD, so it can lock all the system's RAM.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies