[wplug-bsd] Freebsd install

Poyner, Brandon bpoyner at ccac.edu
Wed Nov 12 09:21:09 EST 2003

Do you mean Nvidia video card?  I'm not sure if I understand the problem
but it sounds like the jumping and jerking is only happening inside of
XFree86.  If that's the case you can try running /stand/sysinstall to
reconfigure X.  Most likely it isn't happy with the video card or
monitor settings.  Try something very basic, like a standard VGA card
and standard VGA monitor.  Then start working your way up to Nvidia
video card with your specific monitor.  If you're fairly familiar with
the inner workings of the XF86Config file you could even merge a known
to work config from your Linux install(s) with the FreeBSD XF86Config.

You might also consider upgrading to XFree86 4.3.0.  Your 4.7 system
comes with XFree86 4.2.1.  You can either upgrade the entire system to
FreeBSD 4.9 or 5.1 (don't forget to upgrade the packages), or you could
install XFree86 from the ports.

Brandon Poyner
Network Engineer II
CCAC - College Office