[wplug-bsd] FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT + nVidia driver problem

Benjamin Slavin bslavin_list at wavecrazy.net
Wed Nov 12 13:31:21 EST 2003

Well, it seems I have resolved my FreeBSD issues.

I'm running 5.1-RELEASE with some "out-of-date" [June] drivers.... the
latest iteration doesn't work with -RELEASE, only -CURRENT.

I tried 4.9-RELEASE, but that decided to make my system only use the
LiveDrive (external box) sound outputs, and not the ones on the card
itself (although changing the volume changed the amonut of hiss on the
card outputs).

A few more small questions:
* Is there any way that I can control basic sound settings with a
program similar to the ALSA mixer in Linux... basically, the default
bass setting is too high, since I have a sub that sits under my desk.
* Is there any easy way to bring my entire ports collection into sync
using as many packages as possible? Would "portupgrade -aP" be correct
(and safe)? I'm very used to "emerge -u world" from Gentoo, and want to
make sure I don't screw things up.
* I have two solid state media storage devices. When I plug them in (not
at the same time), they get the same (da2) name, meaning that they'll be
mounted at the same place. Is it possible to have these devices mount at
a consistent point so that one always shows up (mounts) as, say
/smartcard and the other as /compactflash?

Thanks much,
  --Ben