[wplug-bsd] Hello

Mark Haney mh2g at xinterra.com
Wed Nov 12 09:47:08 EST 2003

Hi All,

I'm glad to see that WPLUG has added a BSD list!

I decided to switch to an open-source system for my primary desktop
about a year ago. I tried RedHat, Debian, and FreeBSD, and FreeBSD
was what ended up staying on my machine. I'm still interested in trying
Linux when I can find the time, so it's nice to see a local forum where
both Linux and BSD can be discussed.

I connect to the internet through a slow dialup connection, so I'm
particulary interested in discussing strategies for keeping up-to-date
under such conditions, and in sharing distfiles.

I originally installed 4.5 RELEASE. Eventually I upgraded to 4.7 and then
4.8 via cvsup. I've also updated my ports tree via cvsup from time to
time to access newer software. I ordered a 4.9 CD the other day because
I want to start fresh and clean up my system. However, I wanted to keep
my newer distfiles, so I burned a CD. All the filenames were truncated to
8 characters (which I didn't notice until I had wiped out my BSD partition
to play with Debian again for a few days!).

Does anyone know if mkisofs has a setting or option that causes long
filenames to be preserved?

Thanks,
Mark Haney