[wplug-board] Ideas for workshop/hackathon type events

Justin Smith justin at js-wordsmith.com
Mon Jun 24 00:08:19 EDT 2013

I didn't have specific metrics in mind when I brought up the point system.
There are as many ways to measure performance as stars in the sky; some
people make their careers out of trying to do it. In the interest of simplicity,
I propose a series of categories that would serve as a general framework.

The board would have authority to assign points. Due to the obvious
conflict of interest, board members would be unable to accrue points
themselves, although the hackathon recipient could, at his/her discretion,
choose to award the event to someone else, including a board member.

If that sounds a little unfair at first, think about it - we're running ourselves
ragged trying to do /everything/ at this point, so getting a reprieve would
be our reward. And if someone wants to win a Hackathon that badly, well,
they'll just have to step down and pass the torch on to someone else!

In effect, nobody has the power to make decisions AND enjoy all the
rewards; it's either/or. It encourages distribution and rotation of
responsibilities.

RECEIVING POINTS

+1 point for referring a new member. Former members who haven't paid
dues for 2 years or more count as "new."

+1 point for serving on a committee (or similar function) and fulfilling
routine obligations.
	*Being on the Internet Commitee and maintaining the Web
server
	*Monitoring the mailing lists

+1 point for investing modest effort in something that benefits a WPLUG
associate or WPLUG as a whole.
	*Going above and beyond to help someone on the mailing list
	*Presenting at a GUM
	*Helping the WPLUG board find a terrific way to improve the
group

+3 points for investing considerable effort in a project that benefits WPLUG
as a whole.
	*Setting up, testing, and launching a new WPLUG member
service
	*Automating a routine obligation such as sending renewal
notices
	*Establishing a lasting, mutually beneficial relationship with
another
	technology organization

+5 points for exemplary work that benefits WPLUG as a whole AND the
Western Pennsylvania area.
	*Leading a collaborative project with WPLUG & other local tech
groups
	*Laying the groundwork for a Pittsburgh-based Linux
conference

LIMITATIONS

-Only WPLUG members can accrue points.

-Some work must be done for "routine obligations" to be considered
fulfilled.  If the Investigating Committee doesn't get any cases, for
instance, no work is done and no points are awarded.

-Points for serving on a committee are awarded once per drawing period (a
year?).

--
*Justin S. Smith*
Vice chair/secretary, WPLUG Board of Directors

/"Isn't it ironic that the proprietary software developers call us
communists? We are the ones who have provided for a free market, where
they allow only monopoly."/
-Richard Stallman

--------
[1] http://www.wplug.org