[wplug-board] donation for a non-profit

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Tue Jun 12 13:48:11 EDT 2012

On 06/12/2012 10:46 AM, Joseph Prostko wrote:
> Also, the WPLUG board has to approve this before even talking to WSCC,
> and given the bylaws, I'm not sure we can actualize this in time. Pat
> or Terry, you have any input into this?

 From my read of the bylaws:

Conduct of organizational business (like approving resolutions and
stuff) has to be done at a formal meeting for which proper notice has
been given.  Per the bylaws, the chair can call a special meeting at any
time, but must give 24 hours notice.  So the earliest we could meet
about it would be Wednesday afternoon sometime (and I'm stuck at work, I
imagine others are too, so practically speaking it would have to be
Wednesday evening).

We could have a conference call or IRC meeting, but technically (per the
bylaws) the decision to do that has to be taken at a prior, in-person
meeting.

If we try to get any changes made to the bylaws next year, we should try
to add provisions that allow meetings on very short (or no) notice if
all directors are present and agree to waive notice.  We should also try
to remove the requirement that all meetings are in-person by default,
and allow the chair to call a special meeting via IRC or conference call
the same way that an in-person special meeting can be scheduled.  These
changes would have to be proposed to the membership as a whole, and
approved by the membership via the absentee balloting provisions in the
bylaws.

I'm not sure we can do anything by Thursday, even if we meet tomorrow
evening and give the WSCC Networking Committee the approval to proceed,
there will also need to be some interaction with WSCC and I'm sure the
scheduling with them would depend on whether they have staff in the
building at the time, and nothing going on in the building that would be
disrupted by the work.

Whenever we can meet on this topic, what we probably should do is draw
up a project budget (i.e., there are no funds budgeted from the WPLUG
treasury for this activity - just to make that clear and in writing), a
set of requirements and constraints for how the project should be
conducted, and delegate to the WSCC Networking Committee the authority
to conduct the project without further consultation with the board (as
long as it's conducted within whatever requirements we have to lay
out).  That would get the board out of the loop, since our turnaround
time (from the time the board understands that a decision must be made,
to the time we can actually make the decision for the record) can be so
long - particularly around this time of the month, when we've just had a
board meeting and it's going to be a while before we have another.

--Pat.