[wplug-board] what if we win?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Sep 18 09:22:50 EDT 2006

> So, at the meeting Mike Hansell's objections made me realize something.
> What if all the current board members win?  What if the board is the
> same board it's been for the past year?  What message does that send to
> the members?
>
> We all have an enormous advantage over the other people running because
> they've seen us for the past year.  People have gotten to know us.  Much
> more so than some of the other folks.  While some of it may just be an
> issue with the need for people to get more involved, folks like Ted
> Rodgers, who have done several talks may have a chance, but
> realistically, I'm a little worried.
>
> Honestly, a board of 4 or 5 of the current members would be VERY VERY
> bad in my opinion.  I'm not asking anyone to leave the race, but really,
> I'd like to hear some other folks talk about this issue.

Quite simply, I'm confused as to why this would present a problem.
Parsec (the Pgh Sci-fi group) has had (more or less) the same leadership
for quite a while, it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Quite honestly, I'm willing to step down if we feel such a thing is
needed.  On a personal level, I'm burned out on board meetings and the
like, and I think it would do me and anyone else involved good if I
took a year away from that sort of thing.  Not that I'd cease to be
involved in WPLUG, just not on the board.  I also feel confident that
the others nominated are capable individuals that can carry things
forward.

I agree with Beth, I think that you are one of the most valuable members
of the board right now, Patrick.  You're productive, have a level head,
and know enough about Roberts to keep it working for WPLUG instead of
against it.  You've mentioned that you'll probably be moving away from
Pittsburgh when you finish school, and (as selfish as it sounds) I'd
like to get as much out of you while you're here.  I know that's worded
poorly, but I'm striving for economy of word here.

That's my $.02 for now.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.