[wplug-board] Tomorrow's meeting agenda

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Aug 4 10:50:31 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 10:28 -0400, Bill Moran wrote:

> > The business meeting runs 10:30am-11:30am. That's certain. And I can
> > repeat Beth's description of the GUM's topic.
> >
> > We need more, though:
> > * Patrick, have we got the swag in yet? If not, can we get an
> > effective substitute for the raffle?
>
> [Please have the swag, please, please, please ... anything else will
>  be sub-optimal.]

Well, despite the fact that I ordered the swag nearly two weeks ago, it
still is listed in UPS as only "Billing Information Received" -- which
happened on 08/02/06.  The first email from CafePress said that they
were going to be delayed because of problems with stock -- not
specifying which item.  I got the email shipment info in 6 business
days, not the 1-2 they claimed on the website.  Now it's just been
sitting there for another two days.  NewEgg.com this is not.

> Technically, the dues to this point have been, "$5 per year, and you're
> guaranteed a coupon for 1 free pizza".  The new dues are "$10 per year"
> While we probably need to verbally clarify that this no longer includes
> pizza, I don't see that it needs to be official wording.  Thoughts?

Yeah, the resolution should read something like:

"The WPLUG board moves that dues be increased to $10 a year"

Anything else, is explanation or discussion and doesn't need to be in
the resolution itself.

> I looked this over.  While there are some interesting parliamentary twists
> and turns, I don't see any of them being a big deal or ambiguous.  Here are
> some possible scenarios and their resolution.
>
> 1) Membership approves as is -- done.
> 2) Membership rejects and meeting time runs out -- we'll need to take it
>    up again later.
> 3) Membership rejects and has a "counter proposal" (let's say the
>    membership thinks the dues should be $20).  Since the membership is
>    ultimately in control, they simply vote down our original proposal,
>    then move that the board must recommend the dues be set to $20.
>    Assuming this passes the vote, the board must abide.  At that point
>    the board has a new proposal that the dues be set at $20, and the
>    membership will approve that (if they don't, then something is
>    really weird).

Sounds fine to me.  There's nothing to criteria for what the board
recommends.  Of course, we can decide NOT to recommend a dues change if
it's too out of whack.

> > Bottom line: I can't write the agenda yet. Please give me the extra
> > information so that I can!
>
> What else do you need?

Here's an agenda:

1. Call to Order
2. Approval of Minutes from Previous Meeting
3. Reports of Officers
 a. Chair
 b. Vice Chair
  1. Meeting space issues
 c. Secretary
  1. We currently have XX members, and increase of YY member
     since last meeting.  This puts quorum for meetings at ZZ
     and the board size at AA.
 d. Treasurer
  1. Discussion of Financial reports posted to Members list
 e. Other Officers
4. Reports of Committees
 a. Newsletter
 b. PR
 c. Internet
 d. Erie LUG Revival
 e. Program
5. Old Business
6. New Business
 a. Motion by the board to increase dues to $10
7. General announcements
8. Adjournment

Am I really missing something here?  The motion on dues probably belongs
as the first item in new business, as it has not been discussed before.
If you don't have information for someone, don't put it in there.

> Have you heard from anyone on the Internet Committee?

I move that the Internet Committee and Program Committee be topics of
discussion at our next meeting.  Neither one is getting their job's
done.

--Patrick