[wplug-board] Tomorrow's meeting agenda

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Aug 4 10:28:05 EDT 2006

> The business meeting runs 10:30am-11:30am. That's certain. And I can
> repeat Beth's description of the GUM's topic.
>
> We need more, though:
> * Patrick, have we got the swag in yet? If not, can we get an
> effective substitute for the raffle?

[Please have the swag, please, please, please ... anything else will
 be sub-optimal.]

> * If we're having a raffle, how do we reward the members who show up
> early? Give a free ticket to each member who shows up before 10:30am,
> regardless of when the meeting actually starts?

As Chair, I can say that the meeting _will_ start at 10:30 sharp.  If we
don't have a quorum, we'll take the appropriate RONR actions.

As far as who is eligible for the swag, the point was to get people to
show up for the meeting on time.  My opinion is that anyone who signs in
prior to 10:30 is in the raffle.  Anyone who shows up after that is late
and not in the raffle.

Personally, I want to encourage responsible behaviour.  Showing up a little
late is no big deal ... it just means you're not in the raffle.

If the goal were to punish irresponsible behaviour, we could do something
like lock the door from 10:30 - 11:30 and anyone who shows up late can't
attend.  Hopefully it won't ever come to punishment.

> * What precisely is our recommendation that the members will be voting
> on? Is it just setting dues at $10? Or will the vote be on both that
> and dropping the pizza coupon? My thought is, it's only the dues
> amount, but the coupon thing is immediately tied to that.

Technically, the dues to this point have been, "$5 per year, and you're
guaranteed a coupon for 1 free pizza".  The new dues are "$10 per year"
While we probably need to verbally clarify that this no longer includes
pizza, I don't see that it needs to be official wording.  Thoughts?

> * Also, will we allow our recommendation to be amended? Bill, you may
> be called upon to decide on this. It may come up as a point of order,
> and the membership might appeal and vote to reject a strict
> interpretation and allow amendment.
>
> On the last point, I asked the Robert's Rule forum what the proper way
> to go should be. Here were their responses. I gave them a late
> thank-you at the end.
> http://www.robertsrules.com/cp/Scripts/ASP/forum/treplies.asp?message=45524

I looked this over.  While there are some interesting parliamentary twists
and turns, I don't see any of them being a big deal or ambiguous.  Here are
some possible scenarios and their resolution.

1) Membership approves as is -- done.
2) Membership rejects and meeting time runs out -- we'll need to take it
   up again later.
3) Membership rejects and has a "counter proposal" (let's say the
   membership thinks the dues should be $20).  Since the membership is
   ultimately in control, they simply vote down our original proposal,
   then move that the board must recommend the dues be set to $20.
   Assuming this passes the vote, the board must abide.  At that point
   the board has a new proposal that the dues be set at $20, and the
   membership will approve that (if they don't, then something is
   really weird).

> Bottom line: I can't write the agenda yet. Please give me the extra
> information so that I can!

What else do you need?

> P.S. Beth, can you report for the Program Committee? And Chris, we
> don't need an ErieLUG Revival report for the membership, but it would
> be nice to have one. Are you up for that?

Have you heard from anyone on the Internet Committee?

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.