[wplug-board] wplug funds

David Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 10:07:47 EST 2005

Hey guys,

On 11/17/05, Patrick Wagstrom <pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 20:14 -0500, Beth Lynn wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > While I was going through some wplug paperwork, I found an envelope where I
> > was storing wplug cash. This was separate from the cash box which I have
> > already handed over to Patrick. I knew that this envelope existed but
> > didn't expect it to be very much money in it. Low and behold, the total
> > in the envelope was $98.37

Nice! It's essentially a recovered part of the treasury, so Patrick,
you'd just add it in to the general funds and remind us of it at our
next meeting, along with any other revenues and expenditures.

> > Since I've been in charge of donuts and refreshment replenishment, I plan
> > to continue to do so this Saturday and I do not mind continuing to do this
> > task for many months to come. A typical meeting will need $20-$30 for
> > these purposes.
> >
> > Can we consider this recently found money the refreshment fund?

Well, we don't need a separate fund, per se...

> > Of course we can handle this formally if needed at the next board meeting
> > which is December 3.

There's already precedent for this sort of expense, so just do as has
been done, only keep all the receipts, and make sure Patrick gets
them.

> Beth Lynn,
>
> I haven't had a chance to formally go through and start tracking the
> funds, so I'm fine with us calling that $98.37 the meeting refreshment
> funds.  If you could remember to save the receipts and turn them in,
> that would be really helpful though.  It should help me start tracking
> expenses.  I hope to get some of that stuff organized in the next few
> days.

Patrick, do we need to have a separate fund for refreshments? If we
did, we'd have to keep track of the fund separately, too. It's
ultimately your call, but I'm just saying that it would simply be
easier keeping all the money in one place.

> If there is anyone who has a problem with this for Saturday's
> installfest, please let me know ASAP so we can figure out an alternative
> solution.
>
> Also, I'll probably need to figure out how the bank account works, and
> see about the whole pizza process on Saturday too.  It sucks to have to
> keep receipts, but it does a good job of helping WPLUG to budget.

>From my experience in the past, the pizza process essentially funds
itself on most days. It's generally understood that any overage (or
deficit) will go into (or come out of) the treasury. The refreshment
kitty comes into play here as well; we've often used it to make up
differences in pizza funds.

We could either
a) track how much we collect and spend on pizza, and include the kitty
as revenue; or
b) track the total remaining at the meetings after collecting pizza
money and kitty contributions and paying for pizza and other sundries.

Whichever we're all more comfortable with. We have precedent for (b),
though if we wanted to keep track of refreshment and pizza funds
separately, we could bring this issue up and vote for (a) at our next
meeting.

--
David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com>