[wplug] Is anyone out there using Linux on a Lenovo IdeaPad 100S?

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Sun Nov 29 20:16:33 EST 2015

I'm considering picking one of these up on Cyber Monday sale.  It ships
with Windows.  Of course, if I were to get one, I'd want to change that,
if possible...  ;-)

Can anyone share any experiences using any Linux distro on the IdeaPad
100S?  I'm particularly interested in feedback on ease of use, ease of
installation (of Linux), and ability to easily go back to the originally
shipped Windows version of necessary (e.g., in case there's some kind of
BIOS/firmware update in the future that must be installed from
Windows).  I'm also wondering what the feasibility is of swapping out
the flash drive that is included (which is, as I understand it, 32GB
eMMC) with something larger.

I'm not expecting to do any kind of serious development or anything on
such a machine.  I'm mainly interested in something like this for
situations where I would like something a bit more sophisticated than a
tablet, but don't want or need to lug a full-blown laptop around.  And
of course, the price, size, and (especially) the very light weight of
this particular product make it very interesting for this kind of purpose.

So, if you have experience using Linux on this hardware - or, really,
any kind of cheap, lightweight, "just a bit more than a tablet"
computers that have an actual keyboard - I'd be very interested to hear
about it....