[wplug] Is anyone out there using Linux on a Lenovo IdeaPad 100S?

John Lewis oflameo2 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 21:48:51 EST 2015

I haven't had that exact model, but I had the Lenovo IdeaPad Z565 and it
barely worked after a year. The hinges broke in under a year and I think
the motherboard started to fry.

Maybe you will have better luck than I did, but I say away from consumer
models, especially if they are not in the 11.6 inch form factor because
of durability issues. This one is 14 inches so it is on the high end of
the sweet zone, I wouldn't go any bigger.

Linux would probably work fine in it, but swapping wireless network card
could be a pain because of bios white lists Lenovo likes to do. I
recommend buying an sshd hard drive such as this one
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Laptop-2-5-Inch-Internal-ST500LM000/dp/B00B99JU5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448850960&sr=8-1&keywords=sshd+laptop+hard+drive,
and taking the slow default one out and storing it in a safe place until
the unit comes out of warranty and then reuse the hard drive, unless
things go bad. It is probably less work than going through the motions
of cloning the hard drive with ddrescue.

Right now my main laptop is the Thinkpad x140e 2500. It is durable and
supports my workload, and has 8 hours of battery life, but runs some
graphically intense programs slow. I see the Lenovo Thinkpad 11e going
for less than 300 USD on Amazon you may want to take a look at.
http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X140e-inches-Notebook/dp/B00JI9IPAQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1448850947&sr=8-2&keywords=Lenovo+thinkpad+x140e