[wplug] Still at codefest, software developers don't know a ticketing system when they see it.

Greg Akins angrygreg at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 10:09:34 EST 2015

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 8:16 PM, John Lewis <oflameo2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I spent half the day configuring a system for a bunch of hacks, who seem
> to rather write things form scratch than to appropriate already
> functioning and debugged Free and Open Source Software. It wasn't all
> their fault, because we didn't get enough of the requirements initially
> from the customer.

You bring up a good point.  As a developer, I think that I'd be frustrated,
though, about coming to a code fest and not doing any code.

Depends on the goal. Some of the code fests are structured to try to build
something for non-profits.  In that case, I'd like to get something done as
quickly as possible, using as many off-the-shelf applications as I can.

On the other hand, if the point of the code fest is to learn new skills, it
would be fruitless to just configure existing software.