[wplug] Printer tracking dots

Justin Smith justin at adminix.net
Tue Feb 24 12:22:43 EST 2015

According to the Electronic Frontier Foundation, the US government has
convinced laser printer manufacturers such as Xerox to embed tiny,
imperceptible tracking dots into every printed page.

https://www.youtube.com/v/izMGMsIZK4U&hl=en_US&fs=1&[1]

The EFF sells a blue LED keychain that claims to reveal these dots. I
bought one, and it arrived yesterday. I tried it out on a test page from one
of our Xerox multifunction printers at work, and sure enough, the dots
were there. I then tried to see if there were any dots on pages from the
Brother inkjet printer I keep in my office, and there were none.

If these laser printers had open source firmware, it would probably be a
simple matter to remove the offending code. This, to me, shows how
important it is for /every/ aspect of a technology device to be open source.

There's your interesting thought for the day.

*Justin Smith*
GNU/Linux System Administrator

/"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not;
nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will
not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is
full of educated derelicts."/

/-Calvin Coolidge/

--------
[1] https://www.youtube.com/v/izMGMsIZK4U&hl=en_US&fs=1&