[wplug] OT cell phone help -- other more on-topic cellphone question

Martin James Gehrke martin at teamgehrke.com
Sun May 18 13:53:07 EDT 2014

I am an avid Android power user. Unfortunately I live in a rural enough
area that T-Mobile or one of its MVNO's is not an option. I have to stick
with Verizon or AT&T or an MVNO that uses their networks.

I bought a Nexus 4 before they were replaced by the 5s.

I tried using Straight Talk (TracFone's Walmart brand). They are a AT&T
MVNO.  They were absolutely utterly horrible. I knew what I was getting
into but they were still a complete headache. It was $45 a month.

I switched to AT&T prepaid GoPhone plan for $60/mo and it worked great.

I recently switched to what was then Aio Wireless (another AT&T MVNO that
was owned by AT&T, go figure). Which was merged with Cricket Wireless. I
pay $45 a month for 2.5GB and support has been good. I would recommend it.

Wikipedia has a comprehensive list of US MVNO's at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators

Self plug: I keep a list of my favorite Android Power User apps (you'll
need root) @ http://playboard.me/android/channels/53716bb74dc454f609e1b7b6

I run CM11 nightlys on my Nexus 4. Unfortunately the Nexus line is dead
after 5. Google is moving to Android Silver branding.