[wplug] IP telephony for beginners

Justin Smith justin at adminix.net
Tue May 13 12:21:10 EDT 2014

The Asterisk book looks like a nice resource, but it assumes that you
already have a basic understanding of telephony. Besides that, I don't
like to use vendor-specific materials for general overviews, because,
well, that's not what they're for.

If it was up to me, I'd use Asterisk. Unfortunately, my employer decided
to pass it up in favor of a proprietary phone system, so I need
something a bit more general.

I ended up finding a /fantastic/ series of classes on YouTube by "Eli the
Computer Guy." Here's the one for Introduction to Telephone Systems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tahfluke6cU[1]

Eli explains things exactly the way I do: he goes through things step by
step, not assuming that you know anything. He drills down each topic a
couple of times and then comes back to it at the end for a recap. There
are prerequisite classes listed in the video description as well as cliff
notes if you want to refer back to the basic concepts.

He has videos for telephony, networking, and more. I strongly advise
anyone who's interested in studying complicated technical subjects to
check out Eli's videos.

--
*Justin Smith*
GNU/Linux System Administrator

/"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees.
That'll do them in!"/
/-Author Unknown/

--------
[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tahfluke6cU