[wplug] Upgrade Kubuntu 13.10 to 14.04 DISASTER!

Mike Sussman sussmanm at math.pitt.edu
Wed May 14 15:00:08 EDT 2014

Folks, for those of you running Kubuntu or Ubuntu 13.10, DO NOT upgrade to
14.04 without preparing to fix an unbootable Grub installation!  There is
some sort of bug (Bug 1289977 Ubuntu 14.04 Update breaks grub, resulting in
"error: symbol 'grub_term_highlight_color' not found) that breaks Grub
resulting in an unbootable system.  The person who should be responding to
this bug refuses to admit that it is a bug, and claims it is the user's
fault for attempting to upgrade a misconfigured system.

I have read through the comments and cannot see what the common thread is,
unless it is merely that there is more than one disk drive on the system,
or that there are both Linux and another operating system present.

In my case, I had a VirtualBox VM running 13.10 with a LVM setup installed
on 13.10 by the Kubuntu installer.  Upgrading the system to 14.04 left it
unbootable, but one of the boot repair CDs seems to have fixed it.  I doubt
it will survive the next upgrade that includes Grub.