[wplug] Linux Certifications

Justin Smith justin at js-wordsmith.com
Fri Jun 14 17:39:12 EDT 2013

I'm in the same position myself, Christian - I'm making a career transition from being a writer to becoming a Linux system administrator. You missed a very informative meeting at SNAPGH earlier this week; the topic was how to get training. Our general consensus seemed to be that certifications help you get past HR, while real-world experience helps you get the skills you'll need on the job. Several people recommended getting a server and doing "something useful" with it to learn.

But more to the point of what you were saying, here's my battle plan for getting the training I need.

First, if you want to be competent at using Linux, you need to learn the command line. I'm currently working through /The Linux Command Line/, a book by William Shotts. It covers basic command line usage and shell scripting. It's released under a Creative Common license, so if you're okay with getting a virtual version, you can download the PDF version here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxcommand/files/TLCL/09.12/TLCL-09.12.pdf/download

You'll probably want to learn a programming language that's used in scripting as well. I'm learning Python since it seems to be pretty popular all-around. Head over to http://www.learnpythonthehardway.com for a fantastic free online course by Zed Shaw. I'm slowly working my way through this, and contrary to the title, Zed actually makes it incredibly easy. I highly recommend purchasing the paid version so you can get the companion videos.

After that, you'll probably want to throw together a server of your own and put CentOS or some other Linux distro on it that's popular with enterprise types. (CentOS is a clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, which is basically "the" enterprise distribution.)

I've got a little server upstairs that I just installed CentOS 6.4 on. I'm going to set it up for downloading, file storage, backup, and a bunch of other stuff. There's a lot you can do with a server; you could run a game server, mine bitcoins, or heck, you could help your buddies in WPLUG out by doing some work on our server. Maybe. We could certainly use a helping hand! :)

Oh, and look into joining LOPSA. That's the national organization of system administrators for which SNAPGH is a local chapter. They have a mentorship program where they'll hook you up with someone local to help you learn the ropes. I certainly plan on taking advantage of it!

Hope this helps.