[wplug] Help deciding a RAID+LVM+LUKS setup

Drew from Zhrodague drewzhrodague at zhrodague.net
Mon Jul 22 15:26:35 EDT 2013

On 7/22/13 3:04 PM, Justin Smith wrote:
> LVM and different levels of RAID are new to me but very, very interesting.
> Out of curiosity, did any of you ever “short stroke” RAID 0 hard drives? It’s
> an arrangement that only uses the outermost (fastest) part of each
> platter. In years gone by, that was all the rage among gamers - that and n-
> key rollover, courtesy of a well-designed mechanical keyboard.

	I've heard need for this in early AV systems, but disks are fast enough
where this isn't quite an issue. If your gaming rig is
swapping/reading/writing - and not keeping up during the action -
there's something seriously wrong with something. The performance
increase in something like that should be pretty slim - simply using
faster disks, an SSD, or using seperate disks and controllers for
OS/apps/data/swap seems like a better choice to me.

	(Early days of AV, we were *lucky* to sustain 5MBps from an array of 4
SCSI disks. I once cooked a burrito on a late '90s-model Seagate Baracuda.)

--

Drew from Zhrodague
kitchen biochemical warfare
drew at zhrodague.net